Version 5.0 of smartclass cts contains a lot of material to help cover English Prose chapters. Here is a short description by Gita Nath, who leads the development of English modules.
Each prose chapter has been split into 7 modules (the essays and articles do not have modules on Plot or characterisation) which conveniently fit into the 30-40 minute school period. The objective is not only to crack the Board curriculum with ease but also to hone the language skills―LSRW and V.
A bird’s Eye view of the modules:
1. An Overview and About the Author: These modules are aimed at engaging the students’ interest by providing a sneak preview of the stories: just enough to kindle their interest and hook them but without providing them a summary. The section ‘About the Author’ ensures that the students are familiar with the famous authors whose works they would sample during the academic year.
2. Setting: These modules aim at sensitising students to the peoples of the world, with varied cultures and traditions. It helps the students understand the prose pieces in their context and time frame. One must know why was it M. Hamel’s Last Lesson, what propelled the Indians to rebel against Indigo plantation during the British Regime or Mrs. Packletide to shoot a tiger.
3. Plot: The prime objective of these modules is to take the reader along as the story develops. They facilitate students’ understanding of the exposition, rising action, climax, falling action and the denouement. This enables them to tackle long answer type questions that are based on the high order thinking skills (HOTS).
4. Working with Words: These modules aim at converting the students’ passive vocabulary to active. Not only do these modules provide the meaning of difficult words but also learn their usage in sentences. A section is devoted to the pronunciation of certain difficult-to-pronounce words like ‘Alphonse Daudet’, ‘Selma Lagerlöf’, ‘Jacopo’, ‘Ramsö’ and ‘mjölis’. Phrasal verbs, industry-specific jargon and some figures of speech have also been taken up.
5. Character Sketches: These modules are devoted to portrayal of prominent characters in the stories, with the objective of helping the students understand why a character behaved in a particular manner. These modules enable students to tackle questions based on character sketches which are invariably asked by examiners.
6. Important Questions for Discussion: The reference to context, short and long answer type are all taken up in these modules. The value points of all textual questions, that will enable the students to frame their answers, have been covered. These help the students to write short and long answer type questions, based on Low and High Order Thinking Skills (LOTS & HOTS).Since the examiner is looking for the value points expressed in correct English, these modules are proving to be invaluable aids for students.
7. Quiz Time: The modules, Quiz Time are a fun-way to recapitulate. They comprise objective- type quiz with MCQs, True and False and fill in the blanks that provide instant feedback to the students.
In a nutshell:
The modules have been so devised that the students have fun while learning to appreciate the finer nuances of the English literature and language. The graphics further enable them to visualise the backdrop and differentiate between ‘Seemapuri’ and ‘Verona’ for instance, thereby making comprehension and usage a child’s play with these succinct modules.
Classes IX & X. Course: English Course (Communicative) Code 101
1. Interact in English Literature Reader-IX
2. Interact in English Literature Reader-X
Classes XI & XII. Course: English Core (Code 301)
1. Hornbill(NCERT) for Class XI
2. Flamingo (NCERT) for Class XII
It has always been my dream to see technology becoming an integral part of a teacher's life inside the classrooms. The smartclass program implemented in our schools has indeed been like a dream come true.
The modules are both informative and enjoyable and it has enhanced the teaching and learning process.
The teaching methodology has transformed from an orthodox, laborious method of verbal explanation to a very interactive and graphical presentation, making teaching more interesting to the teachers and learning easy and enjoyable for the students.
The smartclass program has made the classroom sessions very interesting and interactive. It is helpful for both, the teacher and students in the learning process.